The castle is hidden in an unspoiled natural and agricultural setting between the volcanic crater and village: woods, volcano, springs and wetlands of major ecological interest. It’s the Monts d’Ardèche Regional Nature Park’s head office.
Castle of Montlaur and St Médard chapel
During a hike, discover the ruins of the Château de Montlaur at 1343m.
There are only a few sections of walls of the polygonal enclosure of the old castle of Montlaur, formerly called the Chastelas, built around the twelfth century on an eminence dominating both the valleys of the Fontaulière and the Pourseille.
This Gothic manor, whose construction began around 1360-1370, is the work of Cardinals Flandin. Nowadays, the ruins, clearly visible from a belvedere located on the edge of the RD 536, belong to a private owner and can not be visited.
The castle was built in the 12th century and would have had at least 2 towers. It belonged to the Pressis family until 1461 then the Blou family. It has been renovated countless times over the centuries. It became a “holiday home” in the 18th century.
The Gallimard’s Castle, which became a state residence, was a real military fort built from the 13th century. Not visitable.
The feudal castle of Castrevieille, at the entrance to the village, is a large set of buildings flanked by towers which makes it look like a fort. The castle houses meeting rooms and S/C accommodation… Free access to the classified staircase every day.
Castle of the Lower Town, rue de la Gravenne
This district dates back to the end of the 12th century. Important road of passage, the street underwent many demolitions after its promotion in “route royale”, royal road in 1720. However, there are still beautiful facades from 1633 which with the roofs form a protected site, registered.
The former home of the Bruzet family around the year 1378, the castle, a listed historic monument, was built in 1594. Beautiful views over the Lignon river valley and the Tanargue highlands. Classified Historical monument since 1954.
The current castle is an old fortified house built in the early seventeenth century for Gilbert Vincenti, officer in the service of the lord of Ventadour. Listed castle Historical monument since 2001. Not visitable.
12th century feudal castle that’s been under restoration since 1969 by volunteers and professionals guided by Francoise and Pierre Potier. Classified Historical Monument since 1937.
Fortified stronghold typical of the Renaissance period in the Ardèche Cevennes enlarged in 1591 and flanked by three towers. The castle’s gardens are labellised “jardin remarquable” for their beauty and uniqueness by the French ministery of culture
This private castle dominates the Ardèche river valley. The date of construction is mentioned on a keystone: 1597-1598. Renaissance architecture: detached column chimneys, accolades, watch towers, vaults with keystones and mullions.