This Gothic manor, whose construction began around 1360-1370, is the work of Cardinals Flandin. Nowadays, the ruins, clearly visible from a belvedere located on the edge of the RD 536, belong to a private owner and can not be visited.
The site of Pourcheyrolles was considered in the nineteenth century as one of the most extraordinary sites of Vivarais; it is unfortunately unknown today. The two rivers of Montpezat, Fontaulière and Pourseille, cut gorges in the basalt plateau leaving at their confluence a narrow spur, lined with very beautiful organs, which “offers the configuration of a vessel ending in a broad bow” (A Boys, Album of Vivarais, 1842) and on which stand the ruins of the castle.
This Gothic mansion, whose construction began around 1360/70, is the work of Cardinals Flandin, children of the country. Cardinal Pierre Flandin, born between 1310 and 1320, died in 1380. He held high ecclesiastical positions with the Avignon popes and he created a structure in Pourcheyrolles inspired by the same architectural rules as the Palais des Papes.
The strong house denotes a great concern for the pageantry. The internal distribution has two towers, two blocks served by a gallery and a third block for common. You can still see a large mullioned window surmounted by the coat of arms of Flanders, the traces of a fireplace and cushions.
The castle was accessible only on one side and a fort detached from the main building defended the entrance. The dismantling of the fortifications of the site began in the first wars of religion. It was still inhabited in the nineteenth century.
Nowadays, the ruins, visible from a belvedere located on the edge of the RD 536 and on which we can have a bird’s eye view from the small road of Bottle under Notre-Dame de Prévenchères, keep proud on their vertiginous promontory.