The chapel, a sacred site, was built on top of a volcanic peak. It used to have a small bell tower (since transported to the church). Inside, wooden statues (St Roch, Virgin with a Child).
– oratory: Gaulish or Celtic.
– towards the 7th century: Chapel and soil of saint Bauzille. Cemetery in front.
– In the 10th century: Abandonment and disaffection of the chapel following the construction of the new Romanesque church (location of the current church “Rue de l’église”).
– in 1532: Pierre de Goys Apostolic Protonotary, Prior of Burzet) buys the remains of the chapel, and a vineyard near the ancient cemetery. He built a house (High Street), and a chapel. Gift of 52 pounds for the religious service that takes every Saturday.
– around 1572: Destruction of the chapel (wars of religion), in 1640 on the Compois de Thueyts one finds “rock of st Bauzely”.
– In 1718: Under Louis XV, reconstruction of the chapel by Guillaume Sauzet, priest of Thueyts. It takes the name of St Roch (saint fashionable, invoked against epidemics: plague …, storms, drought).
Recent restorations: In 1960 by the priest Sicard: stairs, walls, and woodwork. More recently: Renovation of the roof, renovation of the facades, and interior improvements were made under the municipality of Mr. Jean Moulin.
Characteristics of this chapel: length 12m, width 7m, height 7m. Thick walls, small windows, Romanesque apse. Stoup of stone under a cross of stone. Altar of waxed wood. Way of the Cross painted by an albenassian painter Robert Petit-Lorraine.
All year round, daily.